Import CSV Lists
You can import CSV files to automatically create accounts for People in your Tilma site. In the main CMS side navigation, find the People item and click on it to open People.
How to Import
Please note: You ARE creating a new account, eligible to be on email subscriber lists so those people will automatically receive a notification email, welcoming them to their new account on their parish’s website.
The welcome email ensures the parishioners have been properly notified of being added to a mailing list and have the opportunity to confirm their agreement to receive email communication from the parish. To confirm, the recipient clicks the link in the email which will prompt them to set their password and confirm their subscription settings.
These confirmation steps ensure that your parish site does not get flagged inadvertently for sending SPAM, which will affect your ability to send emails out to your entire parish.
The importer can handle any .csv, .tsv, .xls, .xlsx, .xml file with any set of columns as long as it has 1 record per row. The next step will allow you to match your spreadsheet columns to the right data points. You'll be able to clean up or remove any corrupted data before finalizing.
- Click the import button next to the large blue “New Person” button.
- Once the Bulk Member importer module slides in, click the “Import and Invite” button.
- Upload your data file - can be a any .csv, .tsv, .xls, .xlsx, .xml file with any set of columns as long as it has 1 record per row.
- You may be prompted to verify that there is a header row in your data file, and then the platform will intelligently match your data to the correct place in Tilma.
- Once the file is uploaded, Tilma will look at the columns of data and attempt to match them to one of these four data fields:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Envelope number
- You can review all of the data to make sure that the automated matching is correct, and that the data will be “Mapped” to the right place.
- Scroll to the bottom and click the “Review” button.
- You will see the columns of data that are about to be imported. You can edit any of the cells here by double-clicking into that cell.
- You can toggle on two review switches:
- Only show rows with problems -- Turning this on this will hide all rows except for those that the importer has flagged for review because there are formatting problems. You can then edit the data to make it correct for completing the import.
- Show modifications -- Turning this on will highlight the cells where you made changes to the data. It helps you to keep track of changes made.
- Click the “Continue” button and a message will appear to let you know the import process is taking place.
You can navigate to any other place in Tilma while this import is happening -- this will not interrupt the import process. And you can come back to People to see how the import process is progressing.
What Happens After You Import
- You are creating a new account, eligible to be on email subscriber lists
- The emails will receive a notification email, welcoming them to their new account on their parish’s website, and a link to click to set their password and confirm their subscription settings. This is to ensure that your parish site does not get flagged inadvertently for sending SPAM, which will affect your ability to send emails out to your entire parish.
- If you already have confirmation from these people that they want to be on your mailing list, you can ask your diocese or Tilma support to do the import on your behalf -- they are able to bypass the confirmation process.